Friday, July 4, 2008

If your eye is always closed, then it should not be considered winking.





By and by I have largely forsaken my blog. This is altogether tragic, and I will attempt to describe Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas with the utmost accuracy.
I am already anticipating it being way too long, so the City/Chapter method for those you are dedicated enough to read it all, probably just mom--you might want to spread it out over the next month, a little before bed each night.

ARKANSAS

Brinkley: Here is where we finally encountered flat ground. This entire trip we had been waiting for the glorious promise of the Arkansas delta. It was flat, really flat. But this is where we met wind. Wind... so sad.
This day will also live in infamy because this is also when I so gracefully jammed my left foot in my front tire and did a slow motion flip over my bike. Is it considered an "accident" or "crash" if you are going about 6mph? not likely. Either way, I bent my tire to un-rideable conditions. Thankfully, by providence, I had earlier ruined Dan Carmody's tire which was left in the trailer --also slightly bent still, but you work with the what you have.
Final highlight of this day would be Patrick's off-day's to end all off day's. It has coined the phrases such as "Just go.. Just go" and "Leave me, just leave me." At the time they were said in all seriousness, but now can be used in any context to make fun of Patrick, whether on the bike or even just in line for dinner, getting into the van for showers, walking to a coffee shop-- basically any situation in which you want to remind Patrick of that fateful day and then laugh at his expense.

Little Rock: Shortly after racing through a small town at 30mph, Dan C. and I caught up to Cole who was engaged in conversation with Rudolph Whiteside, a 72 year old retired educator. Cole is a better conversationalist, as he discussed biking, Arkansas, and the in's and out's of underwater basket weaving with our new friend. Dan and I just sort of listened, then I started to blow bubbles. The occasion was pleasant, and that is why it is worth noting.
The first build day Dan Carmody, Dan Thomas and I spent several hours under a house trying to clean out an assorment of debris (rocks, branches, glass, beads, tamagotchis, spoons). Dan C. snapped and couldn't stand not to see the light of day and anymore. We then had to hire Emily Pedneau to replace him. It is hard to describe the depth of insanity that one reaches while under a house. But it could like be summed up in Emily's Vacation Island-- which was in fact a pile of railroad ties and a bush with string of beads. See above. That is all I wish to say.
That night, we went to the Little Rock Travellers game, a minor league team. It then became pretty clear that the 30 of us don't get out that much. We all were matching in our red t-shirts and became possibly too excited to be on the jumbo-tron. Other highlights being: loud whistling, quail noises, and Scott Wilkins' polite and respectful heckling.
The second day was a deconstruction project. I am going to be dependent on other's blogs if anyone in interested in the details of day. I am instead going to focus on Swaroop getting locked inside the building while napping before we were leaving to all go to the build site. I liken the incident to a child napping in a locked car as the parents frantically try to get in. I am convinced it was a calculated decision on his part to do this, although I am sure he would deny it.

Clarksville: This was our first century ride. Highlights would include me vanquishing Dan Thomas in three consecutive rounds of 20 questions... even despite is deceptive answering techniques.
A small selection of dialogue from the game:
(Keep in mind, his final answer is "Body Wash")
me Q: Dan, would you store it in the garage?
Dan A: Well... maybe.. I guess, no. You could store it in the garage... but I guess I wouldn't

me Q: Is it soap?
Dan A: Uhh... well.... um.... yea. ( note the misleading hesitation)

At 2nd lunch, we concocted some deadly Lemon lime Squincher, Orange/ Fruit Punch Gatorade elixir for the remainder of the trip. Squincher is the military's answer to gatorade for quenching one's deepest thirst, which was donated to us when we stayed in the armory back in Tennessee. It had gotten a little wet so in had turned into a semi-solid versus it proper powder consistency. So needless to say the preparation process was somewhat vile, but the final product was something similar to eating cotton candy while dancing on clouds. Samuel Kovach especially loved it. If he even heard a whisper of someone mentioning the term "squincher," his eyes would light up " Have you tasted it? Have you tasted it ? It's delicious!"
Our host at Clarksville were exceptional. They were likened unto the Arkansas equivalent to Bel Haven ( the-town-that-was-a-hug), and that means a lot.

Fayetteville: Some riders on the trip have fond memories of riding through the Ozarks--the majestic hills, the sun drenched tree tops... um yea, not so much. Sometimes it just isn't your day. During some minor seat adjustments, I some how made a major a seat adjustment which put my knees into a most unpleasant state. Thankfully I was not alone and Scott, Michelle, Dan T., and for good stretch Becky as well joined me in my slow, tragic crawl to Fayetteville. At one point I made everyone stop at White River Baptist Church with no shade at all. With sun beating down and relatively stagnant air, it then became known as the " Worst stop ever"-- deem thusly by Patrick, Rachel, and Emily who also joined us. Apologies, friends, but thank you. Another low for that day was being happy when Michelle got a flat just so I could stop pedaling. Sad times, sad times. She later admitted that she also felt the same way. Tragic, again.

OKLAHOMA

Grove: A much more pleasant ride, and the seat position issues were resolved.
Dan C., Angela and I "rescued" a kitten from a tree. This basically means that Dan climbed up a tree. The cat didn't come down. Then it did eventually come down on its own. We then picked it up and pet it, and then left it on the side of the road again.
Keep in mind the three of us were not riding alone, we were also accompanied by a group of "Kitty Dissenters" who wanted no part in saving adorable roadside mammals (Scott, Michelle, and Dan Thomas... I included there names so you can judge them according). After lunch we bike through a rainstorm, which was surprisingly delightful, and we sang any song or fragment of a song that had the word "rain" in the chorus.
At mile 55 was "the Three Corners" of Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas. Upon first arriving Daven, Maggie, and Dave were sitting on this lumpy rock in front of a large dead tree posing for a photo. I found this odd and thought to myself " Why are they on that rock? Is that a monument to that dead tree? Shouldn't they turn around so the "Welcome to Oklahoma" sign in the background instead of that dead, though I suppose for some mildly interesting tree in the background?" I then learned that we were in fact at the Three Corners, but there is little or no fanfare for such a location since if you think about occurs fairly often. We have been told that just one additional corner will be much more remarkable, so much so that we will have to pay a fee, and will likely need to buy some memorabilia to attach to our keys or a zipper to remind us of the event. The anticipation for the Four Corners is staggering...


Bartlesville: This was Super Sweep day. All its records are in the journal entry for that day.
The day off in Bartlesville was quite nice. I slept quite a bit. We did go downtown for a bit as well and experienced anything free the city had to offer. Price Tower, by Frank Lloyd Wright, the Conoco Philips Museum.
This is also the day that Samuel and I decided to start attaching points to our winking game. It may be difficult to describe to anyone on the outside, but the rules started out simply: First to wink, wins. It started back in Winston Salem, and the game has since evolved. There are now rules on change of location, 5 minutes buffer between wins and ties, and whether winking with sunglasses on is legal. I also am trying to institute a rule that forbids Samuel from jumping out from behind a wall with one of his eyes already closed or just having one eye closed all the time. In any case Bartlesville is when points were brought into the game and then had to immediately be taken away again because it took over our lives. We could no longer interact in normal social situations. I would be trying to have conversation at dinner but would be winking at constant intervals and would sometimes have to interject "TIE!!" mid-sentence.

Ponca City: It was a rather windy and sad day. Angela had a fall and cracked her elbow open pretty significantly. It is always unpleasant to hear these things via phone chain on the road. It is scary, but as a disclaimer she is getting better and is riding now. So the van had to take Angela to the hospital, so the riders were on their own for lunch. We stopped in Pawhuska (Spelling?) the last human outpost, stocked up on gas station snacks and ate at Sonic before pressing on.
Oklahoma is by in large a fenced in field. We had anticipated a delightful picnic of peanut butter, crackers, and trail mix under a shady tree at mile 55, but this sort vision becomes difficult to fulfill when the trees refuse to grow. We did eventually find an oasis of sorts at a abandoned gas station. Shortly after this stop the "Plains Song" was written. A short tune on the mental instability which can occur when biking through Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Cherokee: The girl and guy separate day. The girls spent most of the morning in what has become an instituted time known as "Girl Talk." It is basically a period of whispers and giggles to make the boys angry and jealous that they wanted to have guy/girl separate rides.

KANSAS

Coldwater: Tailwind. Tailwind is this magical experience. Tailwind is like floating. After lunch that day, some people didn't pedal for 3 miles and topped at 19 mph. Some chose to pedal and were going at 25 mph, but is was like being in a quiet room. After days of headwind and crosswind and not being able to hear anything, it was surreal. I would ride next to someone and the surroundings would be streaming by at 20-30 mph but their jersey was barely rustling, and I could talk to them like we were sitting across from each other at a table in a coffee shop... light jazz playing. Obvious exaggeration, but you get idea that is was awesome.
Dan C., Dan T., and I decided to pull in and stop at the Coldwater, KS city limits sign. Dan C., found a "prickly pear," which was not a prickly, therefore was not likely a prickly pear as was then renamed ambiguous "desert fruit." He cut a piece in off, but then I insisted he cut it in half. Delirious from the ride, there was a conversation that probably went on for too long on debates about whether to eat it, or under what conditions one would likely eat it. Just then our dear friend Swaroop biked by. I jokingly and gently tossed half the desert fruit in his general direction. Having thrown the fruit "at" him, it rolled to a stop and Swaroop and I shared a touching moment and smile in the brief interlude before Dan Carmody's violent outburst. Dan C. then said " Gimme that other half" and promptly hammered it at Swaroop as hard as he could. The smile drained from Swaroop's face and was replace by fear and confusion as the desert fruit became lodged in his front spokes and made a couple of turns before he came to a stop. It was amazing.
If anyone would like, I can forward any and all questions to Dan Carmody for his behavior. Also, any "get well soon" or " thinking of you" messages you wish to send to Swaroop as he recovers from such a horrifying attack can also be passed along.

Dodge City: Most of the day was spent trying to run out a storm. The wind was really strong. I remember a lot of staring at back tires of the people in front me. yep. that is it.

Garden City: The ride was short and pleasant. I rode with Dan T. and Rachel, and we discussed medicine and child psychology. And Dan Oates set up a slip and slide at lunch. Good job, Dan.
We then passed the high point in Kansas which was a "scenic overlook" consisting of a cattle yard and field. It was awesome.
After dinner I cleaned dishes with my new friend Kayla. She and I re-enacted the break-up song from High School Musical2. I encouraged her to perform it with me at the talent show that night, but she could not be convinced.
The talent show was spectacular, and all thanks should go to Emily Pedneau for the organization and execution. The winner was Lance and his original rendition of "Lullabye" - a bike and build poem. Honorable Mention goes to Scott Wilkins and his Bike and Build/ Love Rap Ballad.


I congratulate all who have made it to the end. It is likely mid to late July if you followed my reading strategy I set out for you at the beginning. I appreciate your dedication, Mom.

3 comments:

Gary Ritchey said...

even a non-relative made it to the end! Claire, I love your posts!

Bryan said...

once Steve and I played twenty questions and his object was "Pokédex" and I'm almost certain he misanswered one of my questions because I think I ended up thinking it was a U.F.O.

eped said...

vacation island is my favorite spot on earth!