Friday, June 6, 2008

Lisa.. lies lies.


Fig1. Moment of insanity climbing up Mt. Mitchell. Many clif bars consumed

We have finally made it into Tennessee. North Carolina was a delight but an unfortunately long and hilly state.

I have included a timeline of the topography thus far. Sadly it is not that much of an exaggeration. The Blue Ridge Parkway crosses in fact a mountain. Many mountains. I have told this to many fellow riders already, but when I imagine myself "biking across the country" I mostly imagine myself in Kansas. Long, flat Kansas. For some reason I didn't recognize the Appalachian Mountains as a significant
geographical feature in our nations landscape.


Fig. 2 Timeline of Topography















Fig. 3 Dan Carmody and I making it to Tennessee. We only remember it being fun...







Fig. 4 Dan Thomas with a sign.
You didn't see this, and no we did not go on this road. cough.










Fig. 5 Emily Pedneau claims victory in the first ever "calf-off" competition. I expect foul play, and bias judging by Lisa.

2 comments:

Anita Chang - Pittsburgh, PA said...

Hi Claire, I'm an NC2SD alum from last summer (and I know Dan from Pittsburgh). Your blog is fun, thanks for keeping it, so me and others like me can keep reliving the fun adventures! I did want to let you know, however, that just about 0 (zero) miles of the country is actually flat, not even really in KS, OK, or AZ. At least not any of it that we went through. You climb and climb, all the way to the ocean in San Diego. But that's ok, because it's freakin' awesome anyway. Bike on!! -Anita C. NC2SD '07

Bryan said...

impression from pictures:
mostly pleasant, possibly about two hours of biking a day. perspiration-free.

i seem to remember us having a draw in a calf-off, if it's the same competition.